Parents have an important role supporting the school’s mission and values since we believe that “it takes a community to educate a child”. We have a Parents and Teachers Association (PTA) which has been reformed at the start of this academic year (August 2016).
Our PTA is run on the following basic principles:
1. A Parents and Teachers Association (PTA) does not make day-to-day academic decisions (the role of academic managers), nor it is it’s job long-term strategic planning (the role of the school board). Nevertheless, it’s recognized effective academic managers and board will communicate regularly with the PTA in order to maintain good relations and to build a consensus for policies. There has also to be parental trust in both academic managers and the board in order to allow them to do their respective jobs effectively.
2. A PTA’s chief role is to mobilize parental support for fund-raising events, in order to raise additional resources, which then can bu used to further enrich the quality of education for children in the school.
3. Such events also serve to develop a sense of community within the school and to positively raise awareness of the existence of the Academia Internacional within the wider community of San Miguel de Allende and the state of Guanajuato. The PTA will also use its extensive contacts within the community to identify worthwhile social causes which parents and their children can become involved with.
4. The PTA should assist academic managers and the board in identifying altruistic individuals able to financially sponsor students from within the San Miguel de Allende community in order for the Academia Internacional to extend its existing scholarship programme. This in turn will allow the school to become more socially diverse and will give life-changing opportunities to gifted children from disadvantaged backgrounds.
5. An effective PTA should strive hard to be truly representative of the diverse stands of opinion, which exist within the Academia Internacional. It should be careful to involve the participation of all types of parents, especially, in a school whose mission is to aim for cultural diversity. It should be governed by a fixed constitution and its operations should be both democratic and transparent. It should communicate its decisions openly and promptly to all parents.
6. The PTA has an important job in defining the role that parents play in the Academia Internacional since parental support for the homework policy and the discipline code is a powerful lever for raising academic standards within the school. Cambridge stresses the importance of parents supporting the development of the attributes of the “Cambridge Learner Profile” at home. The PTA will help academic managers in making parents aware of the attributes of the “Cambridge Learner Profile”.
7. The PTA needs to work with academic managers and the board to create a genuine school/parent partnership since the Academia Internacional believes that “it takes a community to educate a child”. The appropriate involvement of parents in the Academia Internacional will help to provide balance since it will serve as a valuable check on both the board and their academic managers. This in turn can serve to ensure the formulation of more balanced policies based on a greater degree of school-wide consensus. The involvement of parents in school life is essential in that it creates a family type atmosphere and a proper sense of community.
8. The PTA will stress to parents that the Academia Internacional has home–school agreement and an associated parental declaration that parents are asked to sign. This is a document, which explains the school's aims and values; the school's responsibilities; the responsibilities of the pupil's parents; and the school expectations of its students.
9. The PTA will assist academic managers in informing parents that they have the following rights:
Being kept regularly informed of the academic progress of their children. Being able to make appointments with individual teachers, tutors and the academic managers to discuss any concerns that they have about the academic and social well-being of their children.
Being kept regularly informed about the aims and characteristics of all the National and Cambridge curriculums within the school.
The right to register complaints formally (see the Complaints Policy) and to receive prompt responses from academic managers.
10. The PTA will encourage parents to attend parent-teacher conferences and keep them informed, and encourage their involvement, in all social events designed to raise the profile of the Academia Internacional within the wider community of San Miguel de Allende.